The Austrian Science Fund (FWF) is calling on researchers to submit project proposals for research into humanitarian crises such as epidemics and pandemics with a direct reference to the current SARS-CoV-2 pandemic within its existing programmes, but as part of a new fast track procedure.
Qualified principal investigators of all fields – both established researchers and those at the beginning of their career – who work or want to work at Austrian research institutions or in the case of an application in the Schrödinger Programme at a research institution abroad.
Goals/purpose of the foundation
- Immediate support to high quality projects aimed at studying humanitarian crises such as epidemics and pandemics using the example of SARS-CoV-2, thereby contributing to better manage possible future humanitarian crises
- To contribute to the global exchange of knowledge by making results freely available to the academic community and society
Requirements, duration and amount of funding
Applications within this call for proposals can be submitted in the following funding programmes:
- Stand-Alone Projects
- Programme Clinical Research (KLIF)
- International Programmes (Joint Projects), with the countries specified herein and only if the FWF acts as lead agency
- Erwin Schrödinger Fellowships including a return phase
- Lise Meitner Programme
The requirements for applicants as well as the duration and amount of funding correspond to the respective guidelines for the specified programmes.
Specific information on the call
- The relevance of the submitted application to the topic of the call for proposals must be specified on an additional call-specific form. This form must be uploaded together with the application in elane.
- Applicants may submit a maximum of one application within this call regardless of the funding programme.
- Applications submitted under this call in the Stand-alone projects programme, Clinical Research programme and International Programmes (Joint Projects) are not subject to the limit on the number of ongoing projects (‘3 projects regulation’).
Exclusively via the electronic application portal of the FWF elane
- Opening of call: 6th April 2020
- End of call : 31st March 2021 (for Joint Projects: 15 December 2020), the possibility for submission via elane ends at 14.00 local time Vienna/Austria
- Submission must be in accordance with the application guidelines of the selected programme. An additional call-specific form must be uploaded.
Ongoing by the FWF Board on the basis of an international review process
- Submission within the Stand-alone Projects programme: Scientific project officers in the responsible specialist departments
- Submission within the programme Clinical Research: Iris Fortmann
- Submission within the International Programmes (Joint Projects): Christoph Bärenreuter
- Submission within the Erwin Schrödinger Fellowships including a return phase or Lise Meitner Programme: Staff in the department Strategy – Career Development