The Austrian National Foundation for Research, Technology and Development entrusts the Austrian Science Fund (FWF) and the Austrian Research Promotion Agency (FFG) with the implementation of the new “Quantum Research and Technology” (QFTE) research and technology funding programme. The FWF and the FFG offer a coordinated funding portfolio for fundamental research, application-oriented research and development and the development of human resources. A total operating budget of approx. €4.5m is available for this national call, of which approx. €1.0m is allocated to the FWF and approx. €3.5m to the FFG.
Background of QFTE
Austria already ranks internationally among the top locations for quantum research and quantum technology. In order to strengthen Austria’s position in this forward-looking field, the Austrian government is supporting the new priority with funds from the Austrian National Foundation. The aims of the QFTE programme are to research new findings and new applications and to expand the international competitiveness of Austria as a business location through thematic leadership.
At the European level, the development of an “FET (Future and Emerging Technologies) Quantum Technologies Flagship Programme” has also been going on since 2016, the ramp-up phase of which began in 2018. The flagship is a visionary research project with a duration of up to ten years and an EU budget of €500m. A further €500m will be provided by companies and research institutions in EU member states.
Together, the FWF and the FFG offer a broad and complementary range of funding support measures, which take the demands of Austrian researchers into account in many ways.
Target group of the FWF call
- Highly qualified researchers affiliated with Austrian research institutions
- The restriction on the number of ongoing projects does not apply
- Funding of thematically clearly defined research projects in the field of quantum technologies with the potential for application
- Development of research findings in the field of quantum physics towards application
- Promotion of research at the crossroads where extended or oriented basic research and applied research meet
- Development of the researcher’s potential based on the principle of “training by research”
- Outstanding scientific qualifications, as evidenced by at least two peer-reviewed publications within the last five years
- Ongoing or completed research project in the last three years, which can serve as the basis for the proposed project
Maximum of 3 years
- Maximum of € 300,000 personnel and material costs same as for stand-alone projects
Via the FWF’s electronic application portal (elane)
- Start of the call: 11 June 2019
- End of the call: 24 September 2019
- Application language: English
- by the Executive Board of the FWF in March 2020
- on the basis of an international review
- ca. 3 projects can be supported by the FWF
Electronic application portal
Cooperation with the FFG and the AWS
In parallel with the 2019 call, the FFG offers funding for cooperative R&D projects within the framework of QFTE. Research institutions and companies jointly define an application-oriented research and development project in the field of quantum research and technology. The minimum requirement is the participation of one Austrian company in each project. The maximum duration is three years.
Information on applying for the cooperative R&D projects at the FFG can be found here. The Austrian Business Service (AWS) is also available for start-up financing, advice on intellectual property rights as well as technology research and transfer, for example.